Friday, September 14, 2012

Rather Fail with Honour than Succeed by Fraud

This is something I’ve been thinking about for a while. A situation at work started the train of thought, but in the last two years I’ve witnessed similar incidents a number of times, both personal and professional. I’m talking about honour. I know; it’s one of those things that we don’t seem to talk about, along with duty and respect and common courtesy. Recently I’ve even heard (first hand as well so it’s not just unsubstantiated rumour) people boast about not keeping their word. A verbal agreement that they’ve reneged on, to their benefit, and they’re proud of it! What happened to the days when one’s word was one’s bond? And defended, vigorously? Or perhaps that is what is not real? Maybe it’s just fiction that portrays an earlier time where one’s word meant something, and fiction has conned me yet again.

1 comment: